According to the New England Journal of Medicine, medical imaging is one of the top developments that “changed the face of clinical medicine” during the last millennium. Today, imaging and radiation therapy are cornerstones of quality care.
The Medical Imaging & Technology Alliance (MITA), a division of the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA), is the leading organization and collective voice of medical imaging equipment, radiation therapy and radiopharmaceutical manufacturers, innovators and product developers. It represents companies whose sales comprise more than 90 percent of the global market for medical imaging technology. These technologies include:
- Medical X-ray equipment
- Computed tomography (CT) scanners
- Nuclear imaging
- Radiation therapy equipment
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Imaging information systems
MITA provides leadership for the medical imaging and radiation therapy industries on legislative and regulatory issues at the state, federal and international levels. It serves as an advocate for fair legislative and regulatory proposals that encourage innovation, investment in research and development, as well as the continued global competitiveness of the medical imaging and radiation therapy industries.
Through NEMA, MITA is also a leading standards-development organization for medical imaging and radiation therapy equipment. These standards are voluntary guidelines that establish commonly accepted methods of design, production, testing and communication for imaging and cancer treatment products. Sound technical standards of this kind improve safety and foster efficiencies in how care is delivered.
- Increase awareness and understanding of the value of medical imaging
- Achieve efficient and reasonable regulation of medical imaging technologies
- Interact with appropriate government agencies on reimbursement and technology assessment policies
- Expand the global acceptance of the digital communications standard (DICOM) that allows digital imaging technologies to interact seamlessly
- Improve regulatory harmonization of the global market for medical imaging products
- Develop and represent industry positions in technical, trade and other issues
- Provide market data unique to this industry